...and no it's not what you think. 2 and a half years ago I met my now husband and our beautiful family, a family not keen on vegtables. How was I to get the nutritional goodness in to them that their bodies longed to have? For starters you do not serve up brocilli and cauliflower cheese soup! I learned the hard way.
Now I know Jessica Seinfeld came up with all this pureeing business but really after you steam, puree and then cook again, I'm guessing you are losing a fair amout of nutritional value (but I'm no nutritionist.)
The answer to my problems was "doing the sneaky" I grate up carrot, zuchini, mushroom, spinach and I've even graduated to, shredding up, khale (appaerntly a super food). I have "sneakied" these vegtables into lasagne, cabbage rolls, pizza, spagetti, sheppard's pie, hamburgers and as little m says "everything you make". Now, my kids are pretty smart so after seeing the grated up vegtables on the chopping board never to appear on their plate, they began to realise that they were in fact eating to good stuff. Yet there were no complaints because it all tastes, well they eat it, so it must be ok.
Sick days in our house used to be frequent, not anymore. We take our vitamins and eat our vegtables (the sneaky way) and have happy smiling, healthy faces. If you would like to know how to incorporate these ingredients into your meal, drop me a line and I would be happy to share my tricks with you.
*disclaimer
We are not perfect and I often mess up meals. Step parenting is hard, but rewarding when you get it right.
Hi Kylah,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog
Parenting and meal cooking is a process of guidance disguised as persistence, logic, and intuition, dotted heavily with love and bits of humour. Everyone will bring an appetite to the table to receive both.